At the start of the summer, I visited Arizona and now I’m getting ready to head to my childhood home in New England. I’ll be staying in Massachusetts and then vacationing at the beach in Connecticut. (You can read about my summers at the CT shore here.) Aside from spending time with Billy and my family, I’m looking forward to visiting the places I frequented while I was growing up. There are so many, but here are a few that are on my itinerary: a boat ride to Block Island, shopping in Olde Mistick Village, having Sunday brunch at Water’s Edge Beach Resort and Spa and dinner at The Griswold Inn.
As you can imagine, I’m excited to be staying at a beach that holds countless amounts of amazing memories. With that comes preparing for my vacation and just as I did before I left for Arizona, I created a list of things that I need. The items I picked out for my East Coast trip are optimal for relaxing on the beach (a flamingo float and SPF 50), hanging out in a cottage (a trivia game and game pad), or ideal for sightseeing (a tropical printed romper and flat sandals for lots of walking). Here are my 20 must-haves:
1. While I was vacationing in Arizona, I came across That’s So ‘90s! By Jo Stewart + Totally ‘90s Trivia Cards and bought them for this upcoming trip. I’m excited to play the trivia game with my family and read the book while relaxing on the beach.
2. A fun game pad with Hangman, Tic-Tac-Toe, Fortune Teller, Categories, and Dots & Boxes. This will keep me entertained during my seven-hour flight and during rainy evenings in the cottage.
3. This simple white romper that can be dressed up or down, and it will make my tan stand out.
4. I picked up this colorful tropical romper to wear out to dinner or for a day of sightseeing.
5. When it came to choosing a mascara, I went for this beach version by Eyeko. It’s waterproof, smudge proof, long lasting, and clump free!
6. I invested in this eyeshadow palette for its beachy and vibrant shades.
8. This clear SPF 50 stick for face and body becomes more effective when it’s exposed to sweat and water, which is the opposite of most sunscreens.
9. When I tried on this pastel tie-dye sundress from Bloomingdales, I fell in love; I can’t wait to pair it with my Kurt Geiger glitter wedges. (Sadly, it’s sold out but here are some similar versions: Nicola Dress, Ella Dress, and Cami Dress.)
11. I purchased this rose gold flamingo pool float to replace the giant four person “fun island” raft I had growing up.
12. I was in need of a neutral-colored beach bag, so when I found this straw version with pom-poms, I scooped it up.
14. A pair of brown Vince Camuto sandals that are super comfortable. PS: They’re on sale for $20 dollars right now!
16. I love accessorizing my swimsuits with headbands, hats, and inexpensive jewelry that won’t get ruined.
18. I’ll be spending plenty of time by the water, so I choose a few cover-ups to wear over my swimsuits. I love the colorful fringe on this one.
19. This colorful tropical printed kaftan screams “summer vacation”.
For more on travel, here’s a comprehensive beach house packing guide, what kind of shoes you should pack depending on where you’re going, and a list of top-rated travel size beauty products (for your beach bag or carry-on).
*This article contains some affiliate links.