At the start of the summer, I visited Arizona and now I’m getting ready to head to my childhood home in New England. I’ll be staying in Massachusetts and then vacationing at the beach in Connecticut. (You can read about my summers at the CT shore here.) Aside from spending time with Billy and my family, I’m looking forward to visiting the places I frequented while I was growing up. There are so many, but here are a few that are on my itinerary: a boat ride to Block Island, shopping in Olde Mistick Village, having Sunday brunch at Water’s Edge Beach Resort and Spa and dinner at The Griswold Inn.
As you can imagine, I’m excited to be staying at a beach that holds countless amounts of amazing memories. With that comes preparing for my vacation and just as I did before I left for Arizona, I created a list of things that I need. The items I picked out for my East Coast trip are optimal for relaxing on the beach (a flamingo float and SPF 50), hanging out in a cottage (a trivia game and game pad), or ideal for sightseeing (a tropical printed romper and flat sandals for lots of walking). Here are my 20 must-haves:
1. While I was vacationing in Arizona, I came across That’s So ‘90s! By Jo Stewart + Totally ‘90s Trivia Cards and bought them for this upcoming trip. I’m excited to play the trivia game with my family and read the book while relaxing on the beach.
2. A fun game pad with Hangman, Tic-Tac-Toe, Fortune Teller, Categories, and Dots & Boxes. This will keep me entertained during my seven-hour flight and during rainy evenings in the cottage.
3. This simple white romper that can be dressed up or down, and it will make my tan stand out.
4. I picked up this colorful tropical romper to wear out to dinner or for a day of sightseeing.
5. When it came to choosing a mascara, I went for this beach version by Eyeko. It’s waterproof, smudge proof, long lasting, and clump free!
6. I invested in this eyeshadow palette for its beachy and vibrant shades.
7. The scent, Salt Air which takes me back to my teen years at the Connecticut shore. (You can read about my summer nostalgia here.)
8. This clear SPF 50 stick for face and body becomes more effective when it’s exposed to sweat and water, which is the opposite of most sunscreens.
9. When I tried on this pastel tie-dye sundress from Bloomingdales, I fell in love; I can’t wait to pair it with my Kurt Geiger glitter wedges. (Sadly, it’s sold out but here are some similar versions: Nicola Dress, Ella Dress, and Cami Dress.)
10. A pink Bluetooth and waterproof wireless speaker so I can blast my Old School Summer Hits playlist while I’m on the beach or floating in my parents’ pool.
11. I purchased this rose gold flamingo pool float to replace the giant four person “fun island” raft I had growing up.
12. I was in need of a neutral-colored beach bag, so when I found this straw version with pom-poms, I scooped it up.
13. A beachside read—Years ago I watched the movie Bringing Out the Dead and I didn’t realize it’s based on a novel until it popped up on Amazon.
14. A pair of brown Vince Camuto sandals that are super comfortable. PS: They’re on sale for $20 dollars right now!
15. When it came to choosing bug repellent, I bought these waterproof bracelets instead of a spray (I hate the smell), and I included them in my beach house packing list.
16. I love accessorizing my swimsuits with headbands, hats, and inexpensive jewelry that won’t get ruined.
17. These resistance bands, stability disks, and speed rope are lightweight and easy to pack. Now I can do my workouts on the beach.
18. I’ll be spending plenty of time by the water, so I choose a few cover-ups to wear over my swimsuits. I love the colorful fringe on this one.
19. This colorful tropical printed kaftan screams “summer vacation”.
20. I love the tiny crystals on this tie-dye bodysuit and it’s so versatile. It can be dressed up for a date night by pairing it with a miniskirt, or dressed down by wearing it with denim cutoffs.
For more on travel, here’s a comprehensive beach house packing guide, what kind of shoes you should pack depending on where you’re going, and a list of top-rated travel size beauty products (for your beach bag or carry-on).
*This article contains some affiliate links.
My life consists of writing, shopping, music, spending time with my boyfriend, working out, traveling and macarons from Bottega Louie. [email protected]