Every year I look forward to purchasing summer clothing just as much as I anticipate the long hot days and endless summer nights. Going back and forth between my apartment in NYC and my parents’ beach house in Connecticut, I’ve been buying everything from swimsuits and dresses, to jewelry and sandals. Below are 20 items I’ve recently bought to wear in the city and at the ocean.
1. Lost + Wander sundress. An asymmetrical hem, a delicate floral pattern, and a flattering empire waist. What’s not to love about this sundress?
2. Show Me Your Mumu bodysuit. A simple white bodysuit, but the ruffle adds an elegant touch.
3. SWF x Revolve sundress. As soon as I tried on this bold flower power sundress, it was love at first sight. Unfortunately, it’s sold out but here are a few similar options by Amanda Uprichard, Free People, and BCBGeneration.
4. Birkenstock sandals. I was searching for a pair of flat white sandals that I could wear on the beach (without ruining), and these are it.
5. Various beach jewelry. When I want to accessorize my swimsuits, I look for inexpensive jewelry usually made of resin or enamel. Here are a few that I’ve chosen this year: Madewell stretch bracelet, rainbow shell necklace and bracelet set, Pure Vida anchor bracelet, and Shashi beaded tassel bracelet.
6. Levis 501 cutoffs. These mid rise black denim shorts are possibly the most flattering pair I’ve ever owned.
7. Free People tank top. The pink, yellow, and green tie dye print reminds me of three scoops of refreshing sorbet on a hot summer day.
8. Daydreamer The Beach Boys tour hoodie. From the baby blue shade, to the old school graphics, and the neon green drawstring, I’m loving everything about this vintage-inspired Beach Boys hoodie.
9. Free People floral sundress. To be honest, I purchased this thinking it was going to be way too long and that I would need to get it hemmed. It actually fits perfectly and the floral print is even more stunning in person.
10. Aqua one piece swimsuit. I love how the silver shimmery material catches the sunlight.
13. Good Girls on Bad Drugs. Okay, so not exactly a lighthearted “beach read” but it’s a book I can’t put down. The author visits different areas throughout Connecticut and interviews women who are addicted to drugs and have had to resort to prostitution.
14. Golden Goose superstar sneakers. When I was shopping for a new pair of Golden Goose sneakers, I was looking for something neutral so I chose these with white, tan, and silver glitter. Because they’re only available in a limited sizes, here’s a similar pair. Also, since they’re on the pricier side, here’s a more affordable version.
15. Madewell cape. This yellow beach scarf can be thrown on over a bathing suit or paired with denim shorts and worn out to lunch.
16. Sam Edelman sandals. These sandals are super comfortable so they’re the perfect shoe for when there’s a lot of walking involved. I may just scoop them up in another color or print!
17. Madewell bucket hat. It’s no secret that I’m obsessed with just about everything from the 90s, so when I came across this terry cloth bucket hat it went straight into my shopping cart.
18. NCLA “mermaid tears” cuticle oil. This oil leaves my cuticles soft and I don’t have to reapply it daily.
19. Free People denim jacket in light wash. For years now I’ve worn my medium wash G-Star jacket with just about everything in my closet. This year, I decided it was time for a new one so I went with a deconstructed lighter shade version.
20. Lost + Wander skirt. I’m saving this floral midi skirt for Sunday brunch at one of my favorite hotels, Water’s Edge Resort and Spa. (The skirt is sold out but here’s a maxi dress in the same gorgeous print.)
*This article contains some affiliate links.